The village of Marykirk lies in the parish of Aberluthnott (also known as Marykirk) and is situated on the north bank of the River Northesk about three miles from its mouth.

Near an old ford on the river, the church dedicated to St Mary dates to at least 1258 when Bishop De Bernham rededicated many of the churches on the east of Scotland. The old kirkyard contains burial aisles for the Barclays of Balmakewan and the Strachans of Thornton.

In 1805 a road bridge complete with toll house was built by Robert Stevenson for £1000, ensuring the position of Marykirk as one of three main routes across the Northesk.

Marykirk is the location of the world’s first wind generator which was built in 1887 by Professor James Blyth, a native of the village, to provide electric light to his holiday home.

Also in 1887, the Burma Oil company was formed in Glasgow and one of its investors, merchant R.W. Adamson became the laird of Kirktonhill Estate next to the village.

Today, with its primary school, village hall and family hotel this small community is well served. A steady stream of new homes added over the last thirty years has helped maintain the community.

The organisation of the Marykirk Raft Race is the highlight of the social calendar and takes place each May, attracting great support from a wide area.


You can read more on the history of Marykirk/Aberluthnott by clicking here.

Real Time Web Analytics